Anderson County is the place to call home if you want to explore the outdoors, discover American history or just relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We invite you to visit the area and really get to know our community. We think you’ll fall in love like so many others have and see why it really is the perfect place to retire. Check out our list of the Top 5 Things to Do to Get to Know Anderson County, Tennessee.
- Rent a pontoon boat and explore Norris Lake. One of the best ways to see the beauty of Anderson County is by the water. Pontoon rentals are available at Sequoyah Marina and Stardust Marina during spring, summer and fall. We recommend making a reservation in advance and making a whole day of it. Pack a lunch and enjoy it on the boat or enjoy lunch at one of the many marinas on Norris Lake. You can spend the day exploring the area or just relax and float the day away taking in our East Tennessee beauty.
- Hike a trail at Norris Dam State Park. We are very lucky to have great parks in Anderson County and a favorite among locals and visitors is Norris Dam State Park. With 15 different trails to choose from, there is something for everyone. Whether you want to take a leisurely stroll with beautiful views, burn some calories with a strenuous hike or just walk around exploring the park, Norris Dam has what you want. The Lenoir Museum Cultural Complex is also a must-see for park visitors. The complex includes the Lenoir Pioneer Museum, an 18th Century Rice Grist Mill and Crosby Threshing Barn.
- Explore over 300 years of history from Appalachian heritage at the Museum of Appalachia to Coal Mining history at the Coal Creek Miners Museum. You’ll definitely want to explore our WWII history at the Manhattan Project National Park and move into the Civil Rights Movement at the Green McAdoo Cultural Center. We think you’ll be fascinated by the unique history in Anderson County.
- Rent a side by side and explore over 300 miles of trails at Windrock Park, the largest privately owned off-road park in the country. Let the professionals at Windrock outfit you with a side by side and you can spend the day hitting the trails. Don’t worry, there are easy gravel trails if you’re a first-timer. Along the way you’ll enjoy breathtaking views and even see Tennessee’s only windmill farm. Talk about an adventure!
- Stroll Market Street and the antique district in Historic Downtown Clinton and grab a burger and shake from Hoskins 1940’s soda fountain. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time as you walk the beautiful streets of Downtown Clinton. Packed with antique shops, specialty stores, cafes and eateries, you’ll have no trouble enjoying your day in Historic Downtown Clinton.
Whether you choose one activity from our list of the Top 5 Things to Do in Anderson County or you choose to do them all, we promise you’ll fall in love with East Tennessee. You can make it a day trip, a weekend get –a-way or turn it into a retirement research trip! Be sure to visit our website for a variety of lodging options to choose from.